lkjhlkjh

Friday, January 19, 2007

Boring But Freaky

I've noticed that I have a freaky talent that can only be attributed to a higher level of psychic awareness. It's never going to make me famous or wealthy but nevertheless, it is quite an innate talent and always surprises me.

You wonder, what could this talent be? Well, I grocery shop at Whole Foods. It's a nice grocery store (except for the hippie employees) with a lot of good stuff that you can't find in regular grocery stores, like Argentine Parmesan, which I love to eat. Also, they have many bulk items available such as herbs and spices, legumes, pasta, nuts, grains, polenta, cereals, dried fruits, etc. That bulk stuff can actually be more economical than buying them at other places. For example, a bottle full of oregano will be around 80 cents but if you bought the bottle at a typical grocery store, you'd pay over $2. I use a lot of spices and haven't purchased a bottled spice from a grocery store in years.

So where's this talent? Patience. Anyway, I will go along, happily shoveling all the bulk items into plastic bags, tying them, neatly labeling them. When I get home, I have to unload everything. All the stuff in those plastic bags must be transferred to glass containers for storage. Here's the talent. Are you ready to have your mind blown? Somehow, someway, without giving it any thought whatsoever, I always manage to put the exact amount of spice or rice or whatever into the plastic bags to EXACTLY fill the different sized glass containers. I'll pour out the entire contents of each plastic bag and it will invariably fill the jar or bottle, never too much, never too little. It's bizarre.

This capacity to just magically measure stuff extends to other things too. Just now I made a cup of instant coffee. I like to add about a quarter amount of hot water and fill the rest of my coffee mug with warmed milk. So, what happens - every time? I'll pour some milk into a sauce pan to heat. When the kettle starts whistling, I'll pour a bit of hot water into the mug, stir it up to to dissolve the coffee and sugar, and then I'll pour in the warmed milk from the sauce pan. Every single drop of milk goes in, right to the rim of the mug! I don't measure the water, I don't measure the milk. It just works out perfectly.

There are so many cases of this supernatural ability of mine, but I'll stop here. I don't think you all could handle any more.

No comments :

Post a Comment