lkjhlkjh

Thursday, February 8, 2007

The Food Also Rises

There is something about partaking nearly an entire 1.75 liter bottle of vodka that is not conducive to blogging. I've been wanting to write something, but my brain is not firing on all cylinders at the moment.

Cousin dropped by for a visit yesterday afternoon. We started out by sharing a maté as we always do. Then I suggested that perhaps a drink would take the edge off the pain that was making his handsome face wince. You see, he'd just had a colonoscopy in the morning, which thank God, showed no scary stuff, just some internal hemorrhoids which were the cause of the intermittent bleeding and the reason for the doctor's visit. The doctor assured him it was no big deal and he could either have surgery to remove them or live with it. He did snip one off right then and there, which I suspect was the cause of his serious discomfort.

Cousin took me up on the offer so I made him a vodka tonic. Being the hostess with the mostest, I couldn't let him drink alone so I joined him. Things were going merrily along. The remedy was working as Cousin was feeling no pain. I was feeling just dandy myself. This is why what happened next was so strange. I'm talking on the phone, when out of the blue, without the slightest warning, everything comes up. I fling down the cell phone and run to the bathroom. I didn't quite make it. This is a first for me. I have never, ever not known ahead of time when my body is about to return everything to back where it came from. Always ready for the inevitable, I will be kneeling there, waiting...

Now, I'm finally in position, kneeling, one hand holding my hair back, hurling into the toilet. Cousin is standing by, helpless to do anything for me. He's got the phone now and I hear him say to my friend who's still on the line, "What did you say to make Taylor throw up?" That struck me as funny. It is not easy to laugh and throw up at the same time.

This put an end to our night. I cleaned up everything, showered and put myself to bed. There was no way Cousin was going to drive so he stayed in the guest room.

I never once did feel bad. Very strange. Woke up this morning ravenous and a little dull-headed. When I saw that there were only two inches of vodka remaining in what had been a brand new huge bottle, I couldn't believe that I wasn't in severe hangover distress. Expensive alcohol is worth every extra dollar. Those two inches will remain in the bottle for a long time.

>

No comments :

Post a Comment