lkjhlkjh

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Blind Trust Can Get You Killed

Just driving back from the store a bit ago and I see something that always makes me shake my head, resisting the urge to stop, roll down my window and shout, "Hey, you're endangering your child, STUPID!" Diplomacy has never been my strong point. What would incite me to such an almost outburst? I will tell you in the hopes that perhaps someone will read this, recognize themselves or someone else and have their eyes opened to this unnecessary and stupid risk.

I have observed time and again a woman, a man, or a couple walking along the street, pushing a baby stroller with their backs to the oncoming traffic. How on earth can anyone be this ignorant, blindly trusting that everyone who is driving up behind them will not run them down? When I used to run on the streets I would always run against the oncoming traffic, even if I was on the sidewalk. This wasn't even something that I had to consider - it was common sense and basic survival instinct. I wanted to be aware of what was happening around me - especially with regard to cars.

Today's example of stupidity involved a mother and stroller. She was walking on the street pushing her baby in a stroller, her back to the traffic, talking on the cellphone. All it would take is one distracted driver, which with cellphones and other electronic devices on cars is more and more common today, to run them over and kill them. She would never know what hit her.

No comments :

Post a Comment