lkjhlkjh

Monday, August 6, 2007

No Junk Here

I am far from the typical consumer, I think. We're talking groceries here. I don't shop for anything else unless it's absolutely necessary.

You know, when you're standing there in line and there's nothing to do but wait, you can't help but see what other people are buying, especially if they're unloading the stuff onto the conveyor belt thingy. This is how I know I'm not the typical consumer. And I'm sure that Kraft, et al. are very happy that I am not.

To give you some idea, I will list what's currently stocked in my kitchen. Maybe I'm not as unusual as I think. Maybe I am. You decide.

Pantry contents:
    olive oil - first, cold pressed
    grapeseed oil
    white vinegar
    apple cider vinegar
    balsamic vinegar
    red wine vinegar
    sea salt
    black pepper
    whole peeled tomatoes
    tomato paste
    tomato sauce
    tuna
    canned cat food for the boy kitty
    canned chicken for the girl kitty - she won't touch canned cat food
    canned spinach
    canned peas
    old-fashioned rolled oats
    several boxes of rye crackers
    fettucine noodles
    wide egg noodles
    barley
    brown rice
    lentils
    dried split peas
    yerba mate
In the freezer:
    big bag of mixed vegetables
    bag of blueberries
    bag of peas
    a zillion bottles of different dried herbs and spices
    ice
    an open box of baking soda
In the fridge:
Veggie drawer:
    romaine lettuce
    tomatoes
    red cabbage
    white cabbage
    carrots
    parsley
    jalapenos
Fruit drawer:
    apples
    nectarines
    grapefruits
    red seedless grapes
    lemons
    limes
On the door:
    mayonnaise
    Dijon mustard
    brown mustard
    yellow mustard
    ketchup
    Tabasco sauce
    soy sauce
    sesame oil
    big jar of pickles
    jar of capers
    jar of black olives
    sweet butter
On the shelves or other drawers:
    watermelon
    gallon of milk
    eggs
    plain yogurt - homemade
    mild cheddar cheese
    Argentine parmesan
    feta cheese
    steak - that I need to cook tonight
    onions and garlic in a brown paper bag
    potatoes in another brown paper bag
    a bowl with kitty's canned chicken
    a bowl of fresh strawberries
    a jar of roasted red bell peppers - just made those yesterday
    an open box of baking soda
On the counter:
    a bowl with bananas, mangoes, avocados (I call them green butter - yum!)

I don't keep much food in stock. I've always gone on a buy-as-needed basis.

You'll note there's no sugar on that list. I ran out of coffee and sugar and haven't replaced either. The only time I use sugar is in coffee. Next time I buy coffee, I'll get a small bag of sugar. I really should have some sugar around. There is nothing better for minor burns. Yep. Plain white refined sugar. Immediately run cold water on the burn and cake the sugar straight onto the wet, burned area. It'll be as good as new in no time. I've done it many a time.

You'll also note that I don't keep many processed foods or snack foods around - no cookies, ice cream, chips, what have you. I've never been in the habit of or have any desire to eat those types of foods. No soft drinks or fruit juices either. I drink water, maté or milk - and alcohol when I'm in the mood, but I haven't been for quite some time. I used to indulge in gallons of cold S. Pellegrino, a naturally carbonated mineral water, but for now I'm strictly on tap water. Dallas water is really very drinkable. One of the best in the country.

You won't find any type of bread in the kitchen unless I'm having people over. Just because I don't touch the stuff doesn't mean my guests should forgo their bread.

Another thing that's missing here is any kind of bottled salad dressing. The only salad dressing I will use and was raised on is a simple one of olive oil, white vinegar and salt - the very basic vinaigrette. If you haven't made a tossed salad with this dressing, you should try it. It's the most healthful and doesn't overpower the salad itself. Here's the recipe.

Basic Tossed Salad

Ingredients:
  1. Romaine or any type of lettuce. I used to look down my nose on iceberg lettuce until I learned that it too has some interesting healthful properties. I can't recall what they are, but I know I heard something, somewhere and it stuck in my head - just not the details.
  2. Tomatoes (not required if you're one of those misguided souls who doesn't like them)
  3. Yellow onion - it can be white or red, but I use yellow for its excellent healthful properties. Yes, the lowly yellow onion. God made sure peasants can be healthy too.
  4. Any other veggie you want but it's not at all necessary. This three-ingredient tossed salad is a perfect accompaniment to any meal. Other veggies can include carrots, celery, cucumber, green or red bell pepper, avocado (I always put one in there when one's around)
  5. Olive oil. This should be part of your diet - on a daily basis. My neighbor never uses it. She had to have her gall bladder removed after much pain and suffering. She learned that eating just a tablespoon of olive oil a day would have prevented all that. I didn't know this, but I do know olive oil is great for overall health.
  6. White vinegar. Just plain ole white vinegar. Not any other fancy kind.
  7. Salt.
Putting it together:
  1. Wash and dry lettuce and tomatoes
  2. Cut lettuce into bite-sized pieces. I remember once telling this to an adorable 5-year old boy who wanted to help me, so I put him to work. He was tearing it, not using a knife. Anyway, when I explained to him that it should be bite-sized, he proceeded to pick up the lettuce leaf and acted like he was going to take a bite out of it. That's quite a sense of humor for a little tyke. His mischievous grin told me he knew exactly what he was doing. Lots of stories about that little one... OK. Add the cut lettuce to the salad bowl.
  3. Tomatophobes may skip this one. Before slicing up the tomatoes, try this trick. Cut the tomato(es) in half, horizontally, then squeeeeeze it (I like that commercial) gently, like you're seeding it, shaking the innards into the bowl. This really incorporates the dressing and veggies. I'd noticed that after the salad was all eaten, the remaining dressing at the bottom of the bowl was very tasty and reddish from the tomato juice. So, instead of letting it happen naturally over time, I speed up the process by squeezing the tomato juices into the bowl right at first. Always thinking...
  4. Slice up the tomato halves and add to the bowl.
  5. Thinly slice the onion. Not the whole thing - enough to have onion in there, but not have an overly strong onion taste. It's up to you. Add them to the bowl.
  6. Lightly pour some white vinegar over all of it. You don't want too much or it will overpower everything.
  7. Generously season with salt. This is important. Don't be stingy with the salt - unless you're on a restricted diet.
  8. Toss a bit to dissolve the salt in the vinegar and tomato juice. Salt won't dissolve in oil.
  9. Pour the olive oil over it. You need to add just enough to coat every piece in the bowl. You don't want it dripping in oil, but you don't want it dry either.
  10. Toss with a fork and spoon. Keep tossing. And keep tossing.
  11. Taste. You may need to add more salt, vinegar or oil. It should have just a slight tang from the vinegar but not be too acidic. It will be a bit tasteless if there's not enough oil. Add anything that seems missing - but in small amounts. You can always add more, you can't take it out once it's in there.
  12. Toss again. Taste. Hopefully you will get it just right before it's all gone... There is a bit of an art to getting the optimal quantities of each. I have the touch. My aunt and myself make the best salad in the family. Our talents are highly valued as we will inevitably be called into the kitchen when it's time to add the dressing.
  13. Serve with the meal.

In Argentina we eat our salad with the main course. It is never served beforehand. Eating salad as the first course of a meal totally deprives you of the benefits of all that fiber nicely pushing the rest of the food through your system.

Another thing about this simple salad dressing is you will never tire of it. It's just not possible because it isn't a flavor or style. It simply brings the salad ingredients wonderfully together.

OK. Back to the contents of my kitchen. I have nothing to hide. Really, I don't! I am proud of my eating habits and I'm sure this is why I'm so healthy, physically (my mental health is on life support). What we eat on a daily basis has more effect on our health than anything else, except maybe genetics. I hope you all are taking care of the only body you have.

No comments :

Post a Comment