lkjhlkjh

Monday, March 19, 2007

Ouch!

I am holding a piece of ice which has melted nicely around my right index finger where a yellowjacket stung me close to the palm. Prior to this, I had never in my life been stung by a bee or wasp.

I was taking out the garbage for Monday's pickup. My eye caught a flash of its yellow and black body when I opened the lid but was distracted by some workmen up a ways in the alley. It just didn't register and I stupidly grabbed the rim of the garbage can right where this little beast was perched.

It certainly registered when I instantly felt a fiery pain in my finger. I let out a scream, threw the bag in and ran inside while looking for the stinger. There was no stinger at the little red dot where I had been assailed. I immediately Googled "bee sting" to see what the heck one does. The first thing one must do is look for the stinger because it can pump venom for up to 20 minutes. Yikes! And it's not like a thorn, as I was looking for, but a little black dot! That's quite a punch packed in a little black dot. I looked again, real close. Nope. No black dot. Then it goes on to described systemic allergic reactions which include symptoms like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness - fortunately none of which I was experiencing. Anaphylactic reactions include wheezing, difficulty breathing and drop in blood pressure - none of those either. Whew! I am not allergic. So, I followed the instructions for treating it - applying ice and a paste of baking soda.

This one tiny sting was very painful. It made me think about the stories I've heard of people getting attacked by bees and sometimes dying. I can now imagine how much those people suffered. And what a stupid way to go! To think that you're outside, alive, healthy and happy, then in an instant, your life is endangered - by insects. Makes you think...

The ice helped a lot to reduce the pain. Now, the red dot is completely gone and just a tiny bit of swelling remains. The pain has subsided as well. Well, looks like I have no excuse to put off the chores. I'm off to tackle the yard work.

No comments :

Post a Comment