lkjhlkjh

Friday, March 30, 2007

Blahness

The Scream, c.1893, Edvard Munch

I've never given much thought or significance to dreams. They are fascinating at times, especially when they're like some action-packed adventure movie, so very real that I'll wake up quite exhausted, with every detail still vivid in my mind.

I do marvel at the mind's ability to come up with things during the dream state that I'd never be able to imagine while awake. And for some reason, though I have zero fear of elevators in reality, whenever I find myself in an elevator in a dream, that damned thing will either free fall if it's going down or will go right through the roof if it's going up, sometimes even going sideways. They never function normally and always scare the hell out of me.

By the way, have you ever watched someone while they're dreaming? I'm not sure if it's REM but you can see the eyeballs moving back and forth under their eyelids. Pretty strange.

I've had such wonderful dreams that upon waking I'd feel disappointed to realize that it had only been a dream. Then there have been those horrific ones where I felt extremely relieved to open my eyes and find that my world was still intact. Last night's dream was a bit disconcerting.

I can only recall part of it, although I know that there was nothing pleasant going on up to this point. I was in unfamiliar surroundings. It was night and I had to go somewhere for some reason so I jumped into my car. After driving a short distance I see that the street ahead is engulfed in flames but I drive through it anyway without hesitation.

Next thing, I'm in the hospital and I'm saying, "Let it die, let it die" to this nurse who is cradling a body that has no legs. The head is completely bald. The only exposed skin is on the head and neck, and it's all black from being burned. It's me, but I'm not in that body anymore. I don't have much emotion at all as I continue to repeat this over and over again even though I know she can't hear me. Then the nurse says, "She's going to live." Can't remember anything beyond this. I was probably shocked out of my sleep.

Now that has to be one of the most helpless, hopeless, pathetically tragic scenarios that my mind has ever concocted.

Ach! It was just a stupid dream. Both my legs are in good working order, my hair is actually getting too long, my skin is just fine, and I don't have any plans to drive through streets of fire. Although, the dream could be symbolic of the current state of my spirit. Told ya I wasn't well. I wish you all could have known me when I was still mentally and spiritually intact. That saying about what doesn't kill you makes you stronger does not seem to be holding up here.


No comments :

Post a Comment