lkjhlkjh

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Oldies But Goodies

I'm still not turning on the television, but figured there would be some bible themed movies during this Easter season and did catch a few. I just finished watching Barabbas on a Christian broadcasting network and it was great!

I don't think I've ever seen this movie all the way through because I don't recall much of it. That evil laugh of Jack Palance's did make an impression on my mind because I remember that maniacal face. He's such a great villain.

The movie runs 137 minutes and had me glued to the tube. I don't think I took a drink or even stirred during the entire movie - it was commercial free. Anthony Quinn does a spectacular job as Barabbas. If you watch the trailer below, you'll note that the crucifixion scene was shot during an actual solar eclipse. I didn't know that until after I looked up some info on the movie, which was released in 1961. Get it and watch it if you haven't seen it. Some good gladiator scenes too.

The other night I also saw The Bible: In the Beginning. There are all kinds of good actors in this one. John Huston plays a superb Noah - all his scenes are quite enjoyable. I believe he also does God's voice. And Peter O'Toole plays an angel that goes to Sodom and Gomorrah. He was one handsome man in his prime. Oh, those blue eyes...

Anyway, I love all the old bible movies and they always make me cry. In the classic, The Ten Commandments, when Charlton Heston as Moses stands on that big boulder, holding his staff up high and God parts the Red Sea - I start sobbing - every time. I do cry at the oddest times. Speaking of Charlton Heston, Ben Hur is my favorite movie of all.

It's hard to believe that Hollywood actually made movies like that at one time. They'd be out of business today if most people were like me. The last time I went to a movie theater was to see The Passion of the Christ in 2004 (and I made an atheist professor, with whom I was working on a project, take me - he was much too infatuated to not grab this rare opportunity to spend some time with me outside the lab - ha!). I have zero interest in the mostly mind-warping trash Hollywood spews out these days.

Barabbas - trailer

The Bible: In the Beginning - trailer

No comments :

Post a Comment